Thursday, November 29, 2012

Words come too easy...

The Lord has done it again! He has used His word to change and mold my heart! It ceases to amaze me to see how His word is alive and active! Nothing pierces to the heart and unveils the truth about the way we think like His precious word to us. I was reading Spurgeon's 'Morning and Evening' devotion this morning and was just struck by a couple of things that he penned. (All this while the rain was so beautifully falling outside- cleaning the earth and the Lord was actively cleaning my heart like only He can do.)

I want to only speak helpful, truthful, kind and up-building things. I want the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to the Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer (Psalm 19:14). I mean, it is often the case where I just speak so freely and don't monitor my motives and reasons for saying things! This should definitely NOT be the case! Only by His grace! 


By His grace may our words count for His glory!
Spurgeon wrote, "Tale-bearing emits a three-fold poison; for it injures the teller, the hearer and the person concerning whom the tale is told." ... later, "Many glory in pulling down their brethren, as if thereby they raised themselves." and also... "Be this our family rule, and our personal bond- SPEAK EVIL OF NO MAN.' And my favourite, "We may ourselves one of these dark days need forbearance and silence from our brethren, let us render it cheerfully to those who require it now."

Oh my prayer for myself and for those reading, "May the Lord receive honour for the way that we treat others... May His love be evident in our dealings with one another!" It is a clear reminder to me of how much we need the gospel- there is no way that we can have pure hearts and speak good things apart from the grace of His work in us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment